Mayor and Administrator
Travis Erwin: 10/27/15 – thank you for 2 years of service!
- Bid is out for federal renourishment project: six contractors participated on the optional pre-bid call; two contractors have asked about a pipeline through the Folly River and up across the Washout (with temporary bridge at E Ashley), so I’m waiting to hear more specifics from contractors
- Still waiting on FWS before we can issue bid advertisement on Folly groin project – need biological opinion prior to issuance of state permit
- Cogar lawsuit on trial roster
- Finalizing specifics for kayak launch
- Speed Limit Traffic Study: got a great quote from a retired engineer (Howard Chapman) who can use City data to help us put together a traffic study for low cost – resolution in Novemeber for $2500 for the whole study!
Training (this normally picks up this time a year as call volume slows):
- All PSO’s are in the process of completed annual mandatory training updates on Legal Updates and Domestic Violence through the online ACADIS program
- Sgt. Hlavac and Sgt. Upton in background investigations training
- Sgt. O’Brien and Sgt. Browning are in Supervisor Training
- Det. Ortiz is in new detective training
- Ofc. Santos-Hernandez is at NAPWDA training
- All other PSO is starting First Responder Medical Training today at 2pm-10pm. This is a certification a level just under EMT, so that all staff is more prepared for medical emergencies that we often face. We have 16 classes scheduled through December to accomplish this. This will affect overtime, but is a necessary evil due to medical emergencies being a very common occurrence.
- I leave on Friday, October 20th through 25th for the IACP Chief’s Conference and 40 under 40 award ceremony. I will be back at work at 8am on the 26th
- Awaiting psych results on dispatch applicant for long open dispatcher position
- Posted for PSO position, collecting applicants, received a few good ones (replacing Lt. Kelley’s open officer position)
- Meeting with potential Fire PSO for last open spot there.
- Dep Chief and I attending area Fire Chief’s meeting on the 18th at 9:30am
- Follypalooza has been planned well, Dep Chief will be OIC
- We are also prepared for Halloween Carnival on the 31st.
- Meeting at the academy on the 30th at 10:30am… so Dep. Chief Burke and I will be out of the office for that.
Planning and Zoning
- Contacted the State DOR to initiate information sharing per Fairness in lodging act. State contact out of office until 10/23
- Meeting with Jim Rocco regarding subdividing Fred Holland property. One new lot proposed. Will address access (capacity of red sunset, not public/private issue)
- Design Review Board gave final approval to new inn at 105 East Huron, contingent on PC approval of parking plan. Gary Brown resigned.
- Meeting with Charleston Moves for a Folly subgroup planning session for our portion of B2B route.
- Notice on facebook for Greenbelt Advisory survey. We need as many people as possible to complete and ask that beach preservation be added to the list. Greenbelt meeting today
- Reimbursement request underway for new bathroom at Wave Watch Park.
- Second demonstration of rental compliance project on Wed afternoon.
- Asked Joe to look into mixed use limits for proposed inn/apartment combination. If they are separate uses, I don’t think our code lets us tie one to the other.
- Contacted OCRM regarding potential signage/lettering on the pier. They have no regulations or potential issues.
- September month end close complete.
- Reminder: Thursday, Oct. 19th 1:30PM – 3:30PM Department Heads Quarterly Budget Review w/Mayor, Q1 reports to Council to follow meeting.
- Final City Financial software vendor scheduled for October 18th 10AM . RFS to be written/advertised. Quotes and recommendation to Council to be presented at November Council meeting.
- All information to auditors for completion of FY17 Audit. Trying for November Council meeting for results presentation or December at latest.
- Palmetto Parking meeting scheduled for 10AM on Friday with City staff to discuss contract renewal prior to their presentation to Council in November.
- Preliminary brick order install dates to answer inquires or prompt orders: Cutoff 10/31 & Install mid Nov., Cutoff 1/15 & Install begin Feb.
- 1-30 day debris removal grant application from Hurricane Matthew (85% Fed & 15% State match) of $79,794.16 and Cat G – Beach Crossovers of $65,710.14 were recently approved/obligated. Only Cat B – Emergency Protective Measures have been approved for Hurricane Irma; however, only pre-assessment meeting held. Still awaiting outcome of State/County assessments and FEMA kickoff meeting to be scheduled.
- FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program Aquifer Storage Recovery application determined by SCEMD to fall outside of ranked funding list and will not result in awarded project. Need to look at alternatives for ASR funding.
- I will be working with Public Safety to schedule the active shooter training.
- All handbook revisions will be completed this week and hopefully will be distributed soon. I will have one available at the open enrollment for employees to review and ask questions before distributing.
- Hopefully we will be bringing a new dispatcher on board soon. Ms. Susan Palms is coming from the County to work will full time.
- I am still working to complete the quarterly reports for payroll. All are due by October 31st.
- Ryan will attend LMTC meeting next Tuesday in Hanahan.
- IT had a kickoff meeting with the vendor for the municipal mobile application. The next step will be forming an implementation timeline, and then meeting with pertinent staff to customize all of the back office features to our workflow.
- Ongoing maintenance and customization with BWC servers. As we hit the 14 day window, we will be able to start implementing retention rules.
- Server updates—sorry about all of the outages at city hall.
The new power pole is in place and has power from SCE&G at E Indian @ 2ndStreet. This is for the new storm drain pump.
Quarterly bills went out Friday
8 meters were raised
A new water service was installed at 118 W Hudson
I will be off this Friday to attend a graduation
Public Works, Facilities, Building & Code Enforcement
Notes for Department Update meeting – 10-17- 2017
PW, streets and sidewalks, beach accesses and ROW’s
-PW crew install of new sand fencing continues.
-additional lighting for dark area between bridge and little oak approval given for sceg to proceed.
– Contractor resumed beach front debris removal today.
Storm Water and Flood Plain Management
-received estimate from Charleston County for 4th street east drainage improvement to be paid for with Storm Water funds. Will be reviewing plans and estimate with Chas County and two neighboring property owners the week of Oct 26th
-working with County PW to vac storm drain at 2nd east early next week to support new pump station install by utilities crew.
Code Enforcement, Building, and Facilities.
-Community Center repairs continuing, expected to be completed by end of November.
-recommending low bid to Council in November for cladding repairs at City Hall. Low bid is under budget.
-met with Architect and roofing company last week on Public Safety leak repairs. Roofing company will continue investigation and remove a section of roof with Architect present-looking at this Friday to start.
-walkover repair status since last week-10E, 1550E, ADA changing station ramp continuing.
-taking bids for demolition of 9th Street East Old walk over in preparation for groin rehab project per beach and dune management plan.
-Life is good at Folly Beach