Mayor & Administrator
Golf cart decals will now be available at the front desk of City Hall, not Public Safety. This streamlines customer service and information
- Everyone must register golf carts (and dogs) every year (color of sticker will be updated annually)
- State law prohibits operating more than 4 miles from registration certificate – this means people will not be permitted to trailer golf carts onto the island.
Emergency Planning – updates for next year:
- Citizen information line will be set up an published
- New reentry for businesses (dash cards assigned to business, no more list)
- Property managers must have state license and Folly business license to enter during first tier
- New Backup EOC locations (City of Charleston and North Augusta)
Solar Eclipse: August 21st – increased staffing; but please note, Folly is NOT within the recommended path – https://sites.google.com/view/cofceclipse2017
FEMA grants – completing City Hall; new grant applications for drainage and redundant water acquifer all due August 1st!!
First Auditor presentations scheduled for the afternoon of August 3rd.
As of 8am on 7/25, we have handled 1,542 calls for service, wrote 131 citations, made 32 arrests, issued approx. 1,200 parking tickets. Beach Patrol handled the following: 176 Ordinance Warnings, Filled in 38 Holes, Emptied 356 – 5 Gal Buckets of Trash & Debris, Cleaned under Walk Overs (18 more bucket loads), Buried multiple animal carcasses.
CHS MEOC Visit this morning went well
Hurricane drill 26th 9a – Noon
Taking part in fund raiser for Summerville PD tomorrow on Thursday morning (Out of Office).
Thursday Evening is Planning Meeting for SDS @ 6pm
Slow Down Saturday 29th @ 11am
August will continue to be busy, We are starting off the month on the 1st by hosting Folly Beach’s first ever National Night Out.
We also have the solar event coming up on the 21st. We are expecting and preparing for heavy crowds that day. We are also going to activate our local emergency operations center for even more practice during the solar event.
Roof Materials arrived for Shed, Work on Gym continuing
Three bike racks were installed last week
Phillip Benton and Gary Watson completed Fire Hydrant Maintenance class
We met with CWS last week to discuss a solution to the sewer bills in the annexed properties
The Cascade equipment in the fire department was relocated to make room for the new exercise equipment.
- Staff researching 1 year penalty vs a 2 year penalty for rental owners who willingly come into compliance.
- Rental compliance software up and running for initial verification. Meeting with contractor the week of August 11.
- Rental Ordinance draft is complete and will go to Council for a work session in August.
- Notices ready for tax bills for Fair Lodging Act. Will need to order around 3,000 copies to send to County.
- Folly Road Staff Committee met to review joint DRB…proposed to be headed by the City of Charleston. City of Charleston moving forward with overlay.
- Rental agencies warned to move all signs to be mounted on house or face removal starting this week.
- LWCF folks confirmed that we can shorten Folly River dock if needed. But will need approval for anything we do.
- New Ordinance to Council to reinstate parking for Inns, hotels, and other tourist accommodations and residences.
- New house and dock proposed for lot an entrance to Truluck. This is not in the City of Folly Beach.
- New Greenbelt money eventually coming. Advisory Board in the first stages of determining distribution of funds and project types.
Public Works, Facilities, Building & Code Enforcement
Public Works, streets and sidewalks, beach accesses and ROW’s
-participate tomorrow in joint MEOC exercise with all departments, Public Safety tng room.
-PW crew opened up midblock ROW/beach access at 810 East ashley, great job all, total team effort.
– Attending debris removal coordination meeting August 2nd at Charleston County EOC
-striping contractor started paid parking space labeling on arctic until rained out, back today. 3 of 5 parking kiosks have been installed.
-Utilities and PW crews developing list for SCDOT work request to install stop bars at side street intersections that are currently missing. Response has been positive so far.
-Summer place lane parking and access and 4th street east parking repaired and tightened up prior to congressional visit. Nice job Gary Watson and Phillip Benton on grading work being completed in house.
-assisted with congressional meeting last week on Friday, big success, major hats off to Mayor, Administrator, and our Consultant. The message was clear and seemed to be well received.
-ADA ramp at washout finishing up now, delays due to weather.
-1522 East ashley access repair/modification complete.
-curved mirror ordered to install at blind corner vic west cooper playground due to resident request. Great idea from Sven Kappel of west beach court.
–Storm Water and Flood Plain Management
–working with 6 each repetitive loss property owners to seek FMA grant funding for mitigation (elevation).
-meeting today with resident at 402 East Ashley, looking at flooding complaint and solutions proposed by Charleston County Storm Water.
-used camera on pipe vic. Mr. John’s beach store, identified blockage and working on solution to rectify. Should reduce ongoing ponding in that area once cleared.
-signage to be installed on East Ashley ditch vic. 4th block east ashley on Oceanside ditch between 401 and 413 east ashley avenue. SCDOT to work on ditch reshape and clean up due to damage by motorists and poor parking in that area.
–Code Enforcement, Building, and Facilities.
-meeting with property owner this week to inspect 816 East Cooper due to complaint regarding non-compliant ground floor apartment put in recently.
-letter out to property owner at 310 West Hudson for non-compliant, ground floor apartment, received by complaint.
-87 Center, owner working with sprinkler contractors for final plans, once complete, permit can be issued to start new Inn.
-surfboards from wave watch transported to community center last week by PW, Amy Foxhall and Katherine Houghton orchestrated a surfboard painting event during story time last week, big success. Boards are now getting coated with shellac and then will be reinstalled by PW crew.
-City Hall, Public Safety, and Community Center alarm system and testing and inspections are being completed now. No major issues found.
-Community Center HVAC repaired yesterday.
-electrical changes in support of moving cascade machine in fire station completed with no issues noted.
-City Hall and Public Safety elevator annual inspections completed and repairs/abatement being taken care of.
-Life is good at Folly Beach