Mayor & Administrator
Work Anniversary: Brandon Upton – 3 years of service, 1/13/15!
- Compiled strategic planning questionnaires for Bill Taylor, in preparation for Thursday’s Strategic Planning session (10am-4pm, James Island County Park, Edisto Hall)
- Spencer will be meeting with staff on 2017 accomplishments and 2018 goal-setting
- Department Head budget workbooks to be distributed next week, due back to Spencer on February 16th : See full budget timeline in Lee’s section, below
- Working with Dr. Elko to move forward on beach elevation survey and educational material for homeowners. Will contact affected homeowners first.
- Working on Communication Strategy for residents
- Working with Chief Burke on Fire FEMA Grant
- County TST Grant for turn lane at Sol Legare
Due to the weather we were focused on assisting customers with broken pipes by tuning off meters.
At least 5 fire service sprinklers at condo units went down, which requires Fire Department put them on fire watch because they lack other fire protection
Struggled with water pressure due to water main breaks on Charleston Water side of the bridge
Crews repaired one broken water main on the 7th block of W Ashley Avenue. This was due to the freezing temperatures.
The monthly bills were delayed. I hope to have them out this Thursday. Crews will resume reading quarterly meters tomorrow.
A big thank you to Eric Lutz and the Fire Department for assistance turning off meters!
End of year insurance and payroll reporting
- Folly Beach was selected for an on-site SLED audit this year. This will probably be in March-April.
- IT is compiling all of the individual policies in to a comprehensive plan—this should be complete by tomorrow.
- RUOK (pronounced “are you ok”) daily wellness check software going live this week. IT will get infographics and flyers out online and to front desk.
- IT is creating a series of GIS mapping applications for the flood study per Eric.
- Municipal App trial continues—please get me your updates and information as we would still like to go live by the end of the month.
Sent rental renewal list to all properties with 5+ licenses – letter to all property owners with rental registration and new ordinance to go out next week
Met with Planning Commission on top goals
Ice storm last week – thanks to all PS staff for their hard work
Chief Gilreath at complex incident management training in Texas this week
5 condo complexes, and at the end, the Tides had issues with sprinkler protection due to pipe bursts which left them without fire protection
Ladder truck cables needs repair
Water pressure drop is disconcerting and underscores need for redundant water source/underground aquifer
Unexploded firework from NYE brought to fire station Thursday – highly dangerous explosive device, had to call County Explosive unit; will contact pyrotechnic company about post clean-up procedures
Interviewing final part-time dispatcher
- Brick order install dates to answer inquires or prompt orders: Cutoff 1/31 & install to begin in Feb., continuing from front of City Hall toward W. Erie. Currently 85 bricks on order.
- All categories have been approved for Hurricane Irma Public Assistance. FEMA exploratory call completed today.
- Hurricane Irma Hazard Mitigation Grant funding has been approved. Pre-applications are being accepted through March, 16, 2018. Staff to determine any pending projects for submission.
- Continuing capital planning, to include ASR, for water fund to be included within the FY19 Utilities budget presentation.
- Charleston Water System memo received last month informing the City that its wholesale water rates will increase by $0.16 per 1000 gallons on March 1, 2018. This will be a pass through rate increase to City customers. Finance review of current City utility rates completed with recommendations of additional future incremental increases to meet above future water fund capital needs.
- Mandatory implementation staff meeting call with Tyler Technologies implementation team in Public Safety training room 11:30am – 1:00pm Weds., Jan. 17th.
- December close continues. Monthly department head budget reports to be distributed Friday.
- Quarterly Department heads financial review with the Mayor, Jan. 18th.
- FY18 Q2 General Fund Council Report to be completed by Jan 25th.
- FY19 Budget timeline begins per below.
Public Works, Facilities, Building & Code Enforcement
-Strategic planning session with Mayor and Council this week on Thursday
PW, streets and sidewalks, beach accesses and ROW’s
-Winter Storm Grayson response/recovery operations most of last week and into this week, thank you to Sullivan, Benton, and Wright and all of Public Safety!
-recover and store Christmas lighting starts today on Center Street and Folly River Park
-met today with Wetmore and Charleston County Public Works to discuss IGA for road repair and maintenance support
Storm Water and Flood Plain Management
-working on prep with Hall and Gessner for Drainage Study pre-bid on Friday at 10am
-exploring cleaning of drainage pipes at unopened West Huron ROW to Erie canal, 3ea identified.
Code Enforcement, Building, and Facilities.
-Code enforcement action for unfit dwelling started yesterday due to complaints received from HOA, 251 Little Oak
-Washout repair pre-bid meeting tomorrow at 1130
-beach access retreat to start next week at 1500 East Ashley
-post Irma repairs to ADA changing station ramp access to be completed next week.
-Post Irma FEMA Exploratory conference call with Gessner and other Staff, DR 4346