Folly Beach is a caring community with a large pet population. We at Public Safety encourage smart and responsible pet ownership. We host a rabies clinic each year, in cooperation with DHEC, and citizens of Folly may be eligible for discounted spay/neuter and microchipping services through Pet Helpers. Microchips have a wonderful success rate of reuniting lost pets with owners.
Folly Beach Public Safety maintains a few holding pens for lost domestic dogs and cats and encourages you to phone Public Safety at 843.588.7003 when your four-legged friend goes missing. When possible, we will hold lost/found pets for up to three days before surrendering them to Pet Helpers or Charleston Animal Society for adoption. When claiming your animal, bring ID and proof of rabies and be aware you may be fined for animal-at-large. Folly Beach Public Safety does not house or kennel any animals.
General animal regulations and laws.
- No pets off leash at anytime on the beach or public streets*
- May 1 to Sept. 30, no pets on beach between 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Please license your pet with Folly Beach Public Safety yearly. Bring proof of rabies. Download and fill out Pet License Form
- It’s a violation of law not to pick up after your pet. Please keep baggies with you when your walk your animals.
*FIDO Club members may have dogs off leash at certain times and if following FIDO bylaws.
Animal Services provides the following:
- Pickup of stray or injured animals
- Enforcing the leash law
- Investigating animal cruelty cases
- Assisting injured wildlife and birds: Folly Beach responds to wildlife calls, but does not have a Wildlife Agent on duty, nor a place to house wild animals, so each call for wildlife (anything that is not a domestic cat or dog) is dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Other agencies may need to be contacted or, in some cases, the resident may have to phone a critter catcher and/or an exterminator. In all cases, Folly Beach Public Safety advises resident to keep their distance and never disturb wildlife, especially sick or wounded animals.
Folly Beach Animal Services can be reached at 843.588.7003 or firstname.lastname@example.org